Monday 10 December 2007

We’re going on a bear hunt…

Jeez Susie, talk about tough act to follow – how is one supposed to ‘top’ good old Dolly? I’ll keep with the current affairs angle, though not such a well-endowed character, I suppose.

One article that caught my eye this week was about Michael Rosen – Children’s Laureate and author of the classic We’re Going on a Bear Hunt – who has been vehemently attacking the way poetry is taught in UK schools. I remember all too well the way some teachers had their eyes on just one prize; exams, and would coach us for them without mercy. I think poor poetry is perhaps (unintentional alliteration alert) more susceptible to this, being more easily ‘dissected’ with checklists and key words the examiners are apparently looking for. I know that I've read beautiful, thought-provoking poetry, but probably not since I was 18 and if you put me on the spot I will come up with a spectacular nothing. As a result of this I am (not too) ashamed to say that I am not a poetry reader. Is that a strange confession for an avowedly booky person? Personally, I’m all about narrative in my reading choices. It will be the plot of a novel that will keep me reading til dawn, determined to find out what happens to the characters. And I haven’t come across a poem that has come anywhere near that, though I’m open to suggestions…

Speaking of good books, ahem, A Changed Man is still awaiting your votes on the Spread the Word ‘Books to Talk About’ here. Thanks to everyone who is voting!

No comments: