Friday 16 November 2007

Always judge a book by its cover

In a previous life, I used to be a bookseller. And there is nothing quite like life on the shopfloor to quickly dispel two particular myths passed down from the primeval dawn of bookselling:

1 - the customer is always right

2 - never judge a book by its cover

I will wax lyrical over the former - some customers may not even occasionally be right, but without the buying public there would be no bookselling nor publishing and what would we do then? So let's leave it at that.

But book jackets... ALWAYS judge a book by its cover. Book covers and book buying go together like speed dating and shoes - if in doubt, look no further. Call me shallow, but in 90% of cases they will tell you all you need to know about what's inside.

Today I finished designing my first book cover and, after hours of grappling with embedded text frame gremlins, font issues and an increasingly pixillated author photo I gathered a new insight: the book cover equivalent of a pair of Jimmy Choos may well be hard to come by.

1 comment:

Lesley said...

Further shoe related wisdom:
1) You should spend decent money on shoes and on your bed, because if you're not in one, you're in the other. I however, have trouble following that advice...