Monday 26 November 2007

Christmas wishlist


I can’t quite believe it’s December next week. The Christmas lights have been up for weeks already and I haven’t even begun my Christmas shopping.
Working in the book industry means I feel a bit odd about giving books at Christmas time (and I don't mean A&B titles!) It’s like working for Cadbury’s and giving the grannies boxes of chocolates. Or having a job at Maybelline and giving your friends make-up. But before I got myself into this pickle, books were my favourite (at times, my only!) choice in gift-giving. Christmas time is an especially good time for catching up on reading with a few days of holiday and the weather keeping you indoors. Browsing through our shelves downstairs, I found a suitable title for just about everyone on my list.
If things were different, my father-in-law would be getting GUNS AND GANGS. He’s a detective and I think this fascinating and quite frightening expose on black gun crime would be just up his street. My brother would have to get the new Jack Ludlow historical epic, THE PILLARS OF ROME. For my gran, THE AFFAIR OF THE BLOODSTAINED EGG COSY - classic whodunit, with Jeeves and Wooster-ish humour – would be perfect. And my best friend would get WHERE THE TRUTH LIES by the brilliant Rupert Holmes (sassy Hollywood glitz and glamour with a bit of a thriller element).
Oh well, thank goodness for all those voucher codes doing the rounds – scarves it is instead then.

No comments: