Friday 9 November 2007

Bedside reading - and rubbish Champions League

It has taken me two days to get over Chelsea's disastrous return match against Schalke 04 in the Champions League (what does the 04 stand for? memo to self to google it straight after posting this). I despair. My husband despairs. Grant at Turnaround (our nice distributors) despairs. So bad were we that I spent much of the second half of the game playing Sudoku on Brain Training for Nintendo DS. There was a time when I'd have sat there with a book but now I seem to have relegated my reading to the bedroom.

It occurs to me that if a fervent and passionate reader like myself can be easily distracted in this age of Facebook, PSP and iTunes, then no wonder it's proving a struggle to get the younger generation reading. There are lots of initiatives to entice people to read, from Richard & Judy's Book Club to the World Book Day events, and that's heartening indeed, but it is something I think about every day - how to get more people to read our books. And I do mean read, rather than buy, as we are fortunate enough to have great support from the libraries in the UK.

I am one of those lucky people in that I get to do a job I love and look forward to every day .. well, almost every day. I have four books on the go at the moment - two 'work' ones (Sister by Manette Ansay which we're re-issuing next year; Tim Lebbon's new fantasy/horror which I'm considering for our list) and two 'home' ones (Harry Potter 7 - sorry; Susan Fletcher's second novel Oystercatchers. I loved her debut Eve Green and am anxious to see if her new one captures me in the same way). But I'm not going to put a pic of any of them on today's post. Instead you can have John Terry - the lynch pin of our team!

No comments: